Wednesday, May 4, 2011

DIY Headboard - Applying the Nailhead Trim

I have long wished for a headboard to pull my bedroom together, one that is the perfect combination of indulgent luxe fabric paired with the masculine effect of nailhead trim!  Once I decided on and purchased the rich grey velvet from West Elm I then picked up a roll of nailhead trim to bring it all together.   


First off, nailhead trim and I are not friends. 
While I LOVE my finished product and it does eliminate having to nail in each individual nail, I had a horrible time getting the trim to conform to the curves of my headboard (not a problem if you have a rectangle headboard) and cut up my hands terribly
 (just call me Edward Scissorhands).


I purchased a  rubber mallet  at the Home Depot to apply my trim as you cannot use a regular hammer since the metal head will destroy the delicate nailhead. Also, keep in mind that you should gently pounding in the nailheads (life lesson learned, I lost quite a few).


 Two days later, and quite a few revisions... I was almost there!


I covered the back of the headboard with industrial strength velcro 
to adhere the headboard the wall.


The finished product!  It's been a week and the headboard is still up 
(velcro holding strong) and showing no signs of coming down!

No comments:

Post a Comment